Sunday, September 12, 2010

Got that travelin' bone again

Three weeks till the next holiday, and I am getting antsy already. On the one hand, most of my classes this fall actually seem better than most of the previous years. On the other hand I have never had so strong an urge to travel anywhere but work...

This October I shall first fly to Kiev by way of Copenhagen, then after a day in the Ukrainian capital, I shall fly on to Simferopol. I'm not sure where I'm going to stay yet while in Crimea. I have booked a room in a hotel in Yalta, but I might end up in a house further north. We'll see.

In Yalta I plan on seeing the house where the Yalta conference took place, and maybe some Greek ruins. In Sevastopol I want to see stuff connected with the Black Sea fleet and some battle sites from the Crimean War, including Balachlava. I also want to go north to the palace of the Khan - Crimea was controlled by descendants of Ghengis Khan until the late 1700s. Finally I am going to stuff face with local specialities and also hunt down some Georgian eateries. The Georgian kitchen is supposedly one of the best in the world, according to a friend of mine.

But most of all I am going to try and forget work and Norway for a little over a week. And not think about the fact that when this holiday is over, I've got more than two months till the next proper travel experience, which will be Naples. Sigh.

No comments: