Thursday, January 1, 2015

Odds and ends from Athens

Some bits and stuff that doesn't fit in with other posts, for your education and amusement.

First of all: The Bush Bar. Best food, nicest people in Athens. I went down there on Sunday Dec. 21 and while sitting outside, sipping diet coke, somebody stole my backpack. The first I knew of it was when the waiter came running out the door and asked me if I had a black backpack, to which I answered yes. He then took off down the street at some speed. Two minutes later he came back with my backpack, which had been stolen by a gypsy. That's the kind of service and commitment you'll get at the Bush Bar. These past two weeks I've talked with just about everybody who works there, and they're good, decent people. Iffin you're in Athens, you could do worse than give'em your business.
SANY0005

This is their signature dish, the peri-peri chicken. OMG.
SANY0004

Huge and very tasty dessert I had at a place by the southern entrance to the National Gardens. Don't judge me.
SANY0002

Outside the same place, this white wagtail was attacking his own image in the side mirror of a motorcycle. He was at it for 20 minutes, and was still going strong when I left.
SANY0026

Even in Athens, Hell can be found.
SANY0001

There's an area just north of Acropolis called "the flea market". It's more a collection of small shops, mostly selling souvenirs and such.
SANY0004

There are tons of homeless cats and dogs in Athens. Again, the climate makes it livable year round here. A guy in the National Gardens was feeding some of 'em, and told me those that had collars had been sterilized by the city authorities.
SANY0021

A completely white dove eyeing me with suspicion.
SANY0003

Whaddya do iffin you find yourself down on your luck in Athens, but you just don't feel like you have what it takes to become a beggar? This. It's the saddest sight in the world.
elf

Pancakes. With nutella and all kinds of goodies for a pittance.
pancakes

That whooshing sound you hear is Euclid spinning in his grave.
SANY0007

A moose shitting out strawberries. I got nothing.
SANY0018

No comments: