Monday, September 26, 2016

October trip to Scotland

I'm going back to Scotland again, over two years after my last trip to that enchanted land. I'll be flying in to Aberdeen on Friday 9/30 and home again from the same place. In between I've planned a fairly ambitious schedule:

9/30: Landing at Aberdeen Airport in Dyce.
10/1: Driving up to Elgin by way of Fraserburgh and Duff. I'll stop by Kinnaird Head and Duff House.
10/2: Drive from Elgin to Staffin on Skye by way of Loch Ness. Stopping in at Duffus Castle and Urquhart Castle.
10/3: Drive around Skye, see what I can see. Got some scenic stuff lined up, but nothing too firm.
10/4: Drive from Staffin to Crianlarich, by A-82 over Glencoe, with a detour to see Glennfinnan Viaduct of Harry Potter fame just north of Ft. William and a further detour down to the edge of Loch Etive.
10/5: Drive from Crianlarich to Callander. Possibly the most ambitious day, as I have planned to see Rob Roy's Grave, Bracklinn Falls and Inchmahome Priory.
10/6: Drive the short way from Callander down to Stirling. Stop by my beloved Doune Castle and Stirling Castle. Sweet Jeebus, how I love those two.
10/7: Drive from Stirling down to Falkirk. Go on the Falkirk Wheel, which I've always wanted to, but haven't even SEEN yet on my many trips to Scotland.
10/8: Drive up to Aberdeen by way of Castle Campbell & Huntingtower Castle.
10/9: Flying home from Dyce.

I foresee windswept moors, misty mountains, cozy pubs, horisontal rain and persnaps the lovely sound of bagpipes in my near future. Oh, and the obligatory initial panic over left-lane driving.

No comments: