Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Day 8: A lazy day

The power had come and gone during the night, and the damn air-conditioning in my room kept starting up with a cheerful BLEEP WHIRRRRRRR, making it hard to get much continuous sleep. As I had no commitments to anyone, I decided to sleep in. I awoke around 8:30 and hit the breakfast table an hour later and let me tell you, that was one of the best brekkies ever.
20190702_095908

I then drove out to the park, entering at Numbi gate around 11:30. I first drove up north and had a happy if brief reunion with my beloved hippo crew from last year at the Mestel dam. I then went south again to Pretoriuskop, then east towards Skukuza. I think I can now officially pronounce the H1-1 the dullest road in Kruger as I saw fuck all, not even an impala on the way.

As soon as I turned south towards Afsaal, on the H3, I saw rhinos and zebras and giraffes and ellies. I also think I can safely claim the title of rhino-whisperer now (the competition is less than you would believe), as I saw two pairs w/babies. It seems I can't turn around without spotting one these days.

Mah crew from Mestel. Look at the whittle babies on the left!
DSC_0001

Hippos at Shitlhave dam.
DSC_0005

Waterbuck at Transport Dam. Here, he is merely skeptical.
DSC_0006

Finally, he's digusted and outraged. I don't blame him.
DSC_0007

Rhino baby following mom.
DSC_0010

Down the road, another baby was crossing the road with his family.
DSC_0018

DSC_0024

At Afsaal, I met with the redoubtable Debra again and had my favorite dish of waffles and ice cream at a ridiculously low price. I then flew low up the Voortrekker and did some loops around Pretoriuskop, before going back to Rissington with a glorious sunset in my eyes.

The dessert of my dreams.
20190702_153859

The sunset right outside the Numbi gate.
20190702_171344

My dinner at the Rissington Inn. A big ole lump of beef, smothered in this rich, strong pepper sauce which I would marry had it been legal.
20190702_194221

No comments: