Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Dunbarton Castle

Wednesday, I took a ferry from lovely Rothesay over to the mainland, to go north and visit Dunbarton Castle. It is situated snuggly on a volcanic rock and controls the entry to the city of Glasgow. It has done so for over a thousand years; against Vikings, Napoleon and Hitler.
20191002_124624

DSC_0001

There was once a shipbuilder on the property in front. That large, gently sloping hill way back in the distance holds the ruins of an ancient dun, or Iron Age fort.
DSC_0005

Yes, I dragged my bloated carcass up all these steps and several more that you can't see from this angle. I was almost dead at the end of it. I'm slowly becoming an invalid with these fucking neuropathy-ridden legs.
DSC_0003

The Saltaire.
DSC_0010

On these cliffs, the clever Brits would put lights to fool German bombers during WW2.
DSC_0008

Far off in the distance is Glasgow.
DSC_0011

No comments: