Wednesday, February 19, 2020

South Africa Day 2: Hello camembert steak, my old friend

The airport in Addis Ababa was hell. It was hot, hot, hot and long, long, long lines to get through customs. I bet a motivated terrorist could have smuggled everything he needed to take over the whole damn airline and more through that laughable place. At one point, the power failed, and the room fell dark.

Once out of customs, the upstairs wasn't too bad at all. Lots of colorful little shops and I noticed a heavy emphasis on gold and such. I bought a soda and settled in for the wait. A few hours later we took off for South Africa, and the same story here. Maybe one hour of sleep before landing.

What passes for a charging station in Addis Ababa.
20200219_073411

At the airport we were kept on the tarmac while military personnel checked out every single passenger for body temperature. This was of course due to the corona virus, which by the time you read this may be either something reduced to a meme or have wiped out civilization. Whatever.
20200219_142113

I'm not sure if it was the reduced traffic due to this being February and not June, or if they have really started to clean up their act in Johannesburg. One guy managed to politely ask me if I needed any assistance as I sailed by, but there was none of the harassment of earlier years.

I expertly swooped in at Vodacom to buy 10 gigs for two weeks, then went downstairs to get my rental car. That too went without a hiccup. On a whim I decided to take the northern route by Polokwane, as it looked like the roads were better there (something that was later confirmed to me).

I'd not been this far north before, and I thought the scenery compared favorably with the direct eastern route towards Hazyview, which is mainly flat and boring for hours on end. Now I could actually discern valleys and hillsides.

Even though I flew low across the landscape and only stopped once to get refreshments, I was still a couple minutes late for my B & B. I called ahead in advance and was told no problem. I parked, tossed my assorted rubbish inside my room and immediately set course for the Bushveld Terrace Inn.

Last year I had stuffed face on a 300gr steak with BBQ sauce, camembert cheese and cranberry sauce and I was adamant to repeat the experience. I gorged, I feasted, I slobbered fat and meat into my face and behold, it was good.
20200219_204918

No comments: