Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Gipper

Tuesday morning I drove up to Simi Valley, to the Ronald Reagan presidential library & museum. I was interested in politics and history from an early age, and RR was inaugurated a few days short of my tenth birthday, so he was the prez through most of my "formative years". To us on the right (in both senses of the word - nyah, nyah) he became an icon for his vision of a free economy and a free world and his enormously important part in bringing down Soviet communism.

As always with politics and history, realities and facts are more complex than the cardboard image we usually make of our heroes and enemies, and of course there are things one can legitimately critize Reagan for, also from my side of the political spectrum. But he was, by and large, the right man at that point in history and his ability to communicate the eternal truth of freedom is unsurpassed in modern times. Young people need someone to look up to and Reagan was my hero, that's just how it was.

The museum lies on top of a hillside, with great views over the Simi Valley. The admission price is a steep $12, but I advise you also get the $5 audio guide. It's definitely worth it. Inside you'll find information about Reagan's life from childhood, his college years and his early work as a radio presenter, actor and budding politician. There's a lot about his time as California governor and of course his presidency. They have a full scale replica of the Oval office and the piece de resistance is of course the actual Air Force One used from 1973 till 2001. It is surprisingly small, I gather the current one is quite a bit larger.

Afterwards I went outside, to see the memorial garden and the actual gravesite. Again the views are stunning here; this part of California looks like Tuscany on steroids. It is a very fitting resting place for the great man who loved this landscape and spent so much of his spare time enjoying the scenery of this beautiful state. I get a lump in my throat just thinking about it now. RIP, Gipper. You earned it.


Air Force One and Marine One:
Air Force One 1 Marine 1

Now tell me if this doesn't look like Tuscany...
Library view 4 Library view 5

The Oval Office and a statue of RR at the museum entrance.
Oval office Reagan statue 2

The memorial garden.
Memorial

The gravesite.
Reagan grave

All RR library pics here.

No comments: