Friday, May 10, 2013

England part IX: Beer

There is a village in southern Devon named Beer. 'tis true. The name has nothing to do with the beverage, it is derived from Anglo Saxon "bearu", meaning "grove". Being the mature, responsible traveler that I am, I naturally took lots of pictures of otherwise mundane places while giggling like a loon.

All Beer pics here (snort).

Well, I hear they use spirits to preserve stuff, so...
DSCN6285

Oh, I bet they know how to be social...
DSCN6290

Notice the angle of the sign. It's as if it's been put up by a drunk man.
DSCN6300

Oh, I bet it's a long hill. Especially when you're coming from the Beer social club.
DSCN6301

Here they haven't even bothered with the "social" bit.
DSCN6299

An ocean full of beer!
DSCN6291

I wonder how they're able to read the addresses?
DSCN6296

Strictly for medicinal purposes, you know.
DSCN6297

Selling nothing but beer... and pretzels.
DSCN6298

Even the church is in on this drunken revelry.
DSCN6295

"Clap" is slang for gonorrhea. I know, I'm grasping at straws here.
DSCN6286

This building is the Old Bakery, a little ways outside Beer. It's a 200+ years old building which hosts a working bakery. There's also a metal forge and a mill in the grounds. The National Trust owns it these days.
DSCN6304

No comments: