Friday, March 21, 2014

Eureka

After our trip to Mt Whitney I made a mad dash all the way from San Diego to Eureka in a day. The trip was partly to see again the wonderful California coastline and partly to take some pictures of Eureka in fog. Now, there are some things you need to know about Eureka and fog. When I arrived, there was fog. When I went to bed, there was fog. When I was there in 2011, there had been fog. Eureka is always foggy. But on Tuesday, when I got up in the wee hours to take pics... it was a morning so clear and crisp you'd think it had been painted on.

Wailing and moaning inside, I decided to make the best of it and went downtown to get in some pics, but my heart wasn't really in it. After a disappointingly short photo session I breakfasted at the local Denny's and then set course for that sweet, sweet northern California coastline.

I presume this building is still in the care of the local rich white guy's club.
DSC_0015

And this house, right across the street, still isn't screaming "I'M GAY". Not at all, no sirree.
DSC_0006

Downtown Eureka has one of the finest collections of architectural wonders in all of America. I highly recommend the town if you're into photography or just like nice, old buildings.
DSC_0019

The murals are well worth a look too.
DSC_0025

No comments: