Saturday, February 28, 2015

A highly unsatisfactory return to the Archaeological Museum

Thursday I spent a full seven Euros on a ticket to the splendid National Archaeological Museum, where I'd spent some informative and entertaining hours in December. I'd come back with a specific goal: To take pictures of the naked satyr that I now knew was in the museum's possession. In December I'd had no idea, and possibly strolled right by it, but this time I was alert.

I searched and searched like a man lost but refusing to ask for directions. Finally, after passing the same nekkid bronze statue for the third or fourth time, I broke down and asked at the information desk. The first attendant did not understand the word "satyr", which I'm pretty sure COMES from Greek, but the second one understood what I was talking about and cheerfully informed me that this particular section of the museum was closed.

Upon further inquiry she had no idea WHY it was closed off, nor WHEN it would open again. She then explained that the information department were not... uhmm... informed about these things, they just happened. I got the feeling even the very existence of the museum was something upon which her administrative branch was not ready to make any pronouncements, in the absence of instructions from some higher authority.

Some pics, most of them slightly blurry, since the museum did not allow flash photography.

Some old figurines. Like, really, really old.
SANY0004 (2)

Possibly some vessels containing sumfin'.
SANY0006

This looks like a genetic experiment gone horribly wrong. Possibly it involved a raccoon, a tiger and some household objects.
SANY0008

The Emperor Augustus. He can haz cheeseburger.
SANY0013

This young fella's had all the cheeseburgers he can stand.
SANY0014

No hands, no cheeseburgers. Nice nipple, though.
SANY0015

No comments: