Monday, February 2, 2015

Itinerary for the US

So, I'm off to the US again this summer. I had initially thought about driving up the west coast and spend some time crisscrossing Oregon and Washington, but decided instead to go east for a few days.

I'm flying out to LA in the wee hours of Monday, June 22. Tuesday I'm off to pick up some friends in Apple Valley, then it's several days of sightseeing in Death Valley, Mt Whitney, Yosemite etc, before spending Friday evening and Saturday with other friends in San Diego.

Sunday 28th I set off to Phoenix, then on to Albuquerque for two days and Santa Fe for two days. I'm probably going to drive up into the mountains east of Albuquerque to get some pics and see some purdy nature. Up in Santa Fe I'm definitely driving north to see the Bandelier National Monument, which is an ancient Pueblo site. Santa Fe is in all likelyhood as far east as I'm going to get on this trip.

Then it's west again to Farmington, through some purdy national and state forest areas. I may take a quick detour to Taos, but I haven't made up my mind yet. On my second day in Farmington, imma drive up to see Durango, Colorado and then the Pueblo archaeological sites at Mesa Verde and Canyon of the Ancients. For those who've kept track, that's the 4th of July.

On the 5th, I'll drive through some very purdy mountain scenery in Utah, probably just about the opposite route of where I drove in late 2011. I'm staying the night in St George, then it's onwards to Carson City, Nevada for two days.

After Carson I'm heading north to Yreka. A little uncertain which route I'll take from there, but I'm heading over the hills and through some nice forest areas to Eureka, then back again farther south to Red Bluff. Then it's on to Sacramento for two days of sightseeing.

That week I will begin by driving to San Francisco, where I've been offered lodgings for a couple of days, then it's on to my friends in Fresno. Friday, I'll hand in my car there, then we'll all drive down to lodgings just outside Sequoia National Park. Here, I'll meet up with my San Diego crew and we're going to continue up Sequoia, Kings Canyon NP, Yosemite NP, Lake Tahoe and all the way to Crater Lake in Oregon.

Then it's on to beautiful Twin Falls, Idaho and then the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Yes, it takes a Norwegian lardass to drag my 'merican friends off to see the good stuff in their own country. After Yellowstone we're doing the Beartooth Highway, then all the way up to Glacier NP. Then it's down again to Utah, including a quick trip to see Zion and Bryce National Parks, cuz when we were there in December 2013, my friends were very eager to see it again in summer.

Anyways, the journey ends in Los Angeles, whence I fly out on August 3, landing in Oslo on Tuesday, August 4. Sounds like a good trip, yeah?

No comments: