Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Stirling & Surroundings

These pictures are from my favoritestest place in Scotland: Stirling Castle and its surroundings - including the always entertaining and lovely Doune Castle, where I bought two overpriced coconut shells for my own amusement.

In addition to being the place where Monty Python filmed nearly all the castle scenes in the Holy Grail, Doune is also the location of "Castle Leoch" in the Outlander TV-series. It is also used for portraying Winterfell in Game of Thrones.
DSC00046

From the kitchen rooms. The lines cut into the soft sandstone are markings left by various staff who used the walls to sharpen their blades on.
DSC00047

"On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place".
DSC00049

The small height on the other side of the road from Stirling Castle is a golf course today. When I'm ruler of the world, I will erase all tracks of there ever having been a golf course up there and use it for the entertainment of my guests (when we're not playing hide and seek up at Stirling Castle). Yes, I have the maturity of a 5 year old.
DSC00054

From the lovely, renovated James V's Palace at Stirling.
DSC00057

The ceiling of the Great Hall was made by shipbuilders and the design is simply a ship's keel turned upside down. It wheighs I don't know how many thousand metric tons and not a single piece of metal went into it. The current ceiling is a reconstruction.
DSC00065

Naturally, I was skeptical of the Great Hall.
DSC00058

No comments: