Thursday, August 3, 2017

Celtic Tour Day III: Giant's Causeway

Thursday started out with a visit to Giant's Causeway, possibly the most famous and intriguing place on the island. According to legend (aka bullshit), it was built by a giant who wanted to fight a Scottish giant; there are several versions of the story, some incorporating the similar stones over at Staffa, an island off Oban on the Scottish west coast. Again, I'm just going to refer you to my TripAdvisor review:
"Went there with a friend. Interesting rock formations, great scenery, good transportation and facilities up at the informative visitor center. Extra plus for a good range of products in the shop."

Yeah, I was slightly underwhelmed, possibly because I had built it up in my head to be this yuuuge thing and when it turned out to be merely good, I was disappointed. Do have a look at the pictures:

DSC00843

DSC00847

DSC00853

DSC00861

DSC00864

I believe this one was called the Giant's booth.
DSC00857

Video from Giant's Causeway:


Naturally, I was skeptical of Giant's Causeway.
DSC00856

We continued towards Ireland by the coastal route, but made a quick detour down to the "Dark Hedges", which is one of many Game of Thrones locations in Northern Ireland. I got some video of that too.


We finally made it out to Torr Head, which is the closest part of Northern Ireland to Scotland. It's a pretty drive out there.
DSC00870

I have video:


A bit south we came upon some glorious scenery. The Glens of Antrim begin here and stretch inland for several miles; a very, very pretty area indeed.
DSC00872

DSC00873

1 comment:

Bed Bug Exterminator Yakima said...

I really enjoyed your blog, thanks for sharing