Saturday, November 8, 2014

Excursion to Kahlenberg and Grinzing

Friday, I decided to get adventurous and go up north to the very edge of town, to Kahlenberg, whence there was supposed to be a grand view of the city. I casually mentioned this at breakfast, and suddenly I had half a dozen people who wanted to join. We first went by underground, then the city tram and finally a local bus up to Kahlenberg. There's an old church there, a very pricey hotel and a nice cafe, where we stuffed face - I went for hot chocolate and strawberry cake myself. We then took the bus down to the cozy little town of Grinzing and walked around a little bit before stuffing ourselves mightily in the local restaurant "Brandl". I chose pheasant and I chose well. Others had wild boar sausage and all pronounced their food good.

The views from Kahlenberg were indeed grand, but the weather wasn't the best. The hill itself is outside the city limits, while Grinzing is inside.
SANY0037

The great river Danube aka Donau flows through Vienna. The Austrians dug out a second arm to alleviate the periodic flooding and they also have a Donau Canal that runs through the town center.
SANY0042

Grinzing was full of really cozy, old buildings.
SANY0049

I think this building was possibly the whitest I've ever seen, it was almost radiant.
SANY0059

Cozy, narrow, one-way street.
SANY0048

This grand old house, from 1527, was the residence of the Namibian ambassador. We saw lots of houses along the way up to Kahlenberg that looked like they came from old money.
SANY0051

Strange looking straw bunny at the Brandl. Not sure if it's cute or eerie.
SANY0057

No comments: