Sunday, November 9, 2014

Foooooood

Some assorted pics from meals we had.

From the first cafe, near Stefansplatz. Notice the teetotaler and his Almdudler. And notice his drunkard colleagues and their glasses of liquid sin.
SANY0007

This is from the window of a chocolatier. The Viennese are big on cake and chocolate.
SANY0026

The cakes on display at the Kahlenberg cafe. I was torn between apple cake and strawberry and had just enough shame in me not to get both (meaning there were witnesses). Now I shall always wonder how their apple cake tastes.
SANY0043

The pheasant I had in Grinzing. Yummylicious.
SANY0058

My last meal in Vienna was at a restaurant called Böhmerwald. I chose the Czech national dish "Sviszkove ne smetana e knedliky" (I may have the spelling wrong). A slab of meat in a sweet and sour sauce, a dollop of jam and cream and potato dumplings. I must be one of the few non-Czechs to love this. The waitress' face lit up when I ordered it and when I said "djakojem" (= thanks in Czech) she answered back in Czech. It wasn't just a lovely meal; the taste reminded me of Prague and all the lovely times I've had in that beautiful, beautiful city.
SANY0025

The interior of the Böhmerwald. I heartily recommend the place.
SANY0023

No comments: