Sunday, October 16, 2016

Isle of Skye

I had intended to take some pictures of Duffus Castle, a ruin just north of Elgin, but my trusty old pocket camera chose that day to die on me. So instead I went to Skye, the almost mythically beautiful island just off the west coast. I'd never been before but I can assure you I will go there again. These are pics I took Sunday Oct 2.

I managed to get in two pictures from an unusually sunlit Loch Ness on the way to Skye. Here is Urquhart Castle.
DSC_0017

The Loch itself had a wee bit of fog on. Wewy myftical.
DSC_0038

Kyle of Lochalsh is a tiny village on the mainland. Opposite, to the left in the image, is the even tinier Skye village of Kyleakin, which in Gaelic means "The strait of Haakon" - in this case Haakon IV of Norway, who ruled these parts until he squandered them at the Battle of Largs in 1263.
DSC_0061

A little further up the island was this cozy little waterfall, which I stopped to photograph. I believe it is called Mealt waterfall.
DSC_0149

While standing there, I noticed an airplane crossing the skies.
DSC_0097

This is the Scotland I've come to know and love, folks.
DSC_0145

A bit further north was this waterfall.
DSC_0239

This is the beach in Staffin Bay. Somewhere along here, there are fossil dinosaur print, but I'll be damned if I know where they were. And I spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for them.
DSC_0288

Just north of Staffin was a fellow Elvis fan.
P1050937

No comments: