Friday, May 18, 2018

Californication: The Atlantic Road & Inland

The night was spent at a motel/camping site where I'd stayed a few years ago. The room was very tiny, especially for three people. A moment of hilarity ensued in the morning, when I woke up to the sound of a concerned Courtland below me in the bunk bed, as it was giving off suspiciously creaking noises. As I moved to turn over on my side, I distinctly heard one of the boards give way. I still don't know quite how I managed to scoot out of the bed and onto the ladder, but just as I did this, two more boards gave way and the two Americans below crawled over one another, screaming in terror. Fortunately nothing was broken, but the boards had slid out of position, leading to the very real possibility that they'd be killed by a falling, rotund Norwegian - and even if the fall didn't kill them, they might have suffocated. Such are the perils of a trip to Norway.

Anyways, the day started with a trip along the famous Atlantic Road. This is the most famous of the many bridges connecting the islands to each other.
DSC_0001

It's an arresting sight.
DSC_0014

Just before it, there's a small island where you can park the car and walk around a hill; it took us 15-20 minutes, but it can easily be done in 5.
DSC_0015

Naturally, I was skeptical of the Atlantic Road.
DSC_0006

The views inland are ridiculous.
DSC_0023

Just stupid purdy.
DSC_0029

Now, we were supposed to take the ferry across a strait, but I read the map wrong and thought the road along the coastline would be just 15-20 minutes. It took us a couple of hours, and that was with me flying low over some desolate areas. On the other hand, we had to stop frequently to take pictures, because, well... this... Albie, who hails from Switzerland, was commenting on how the scenery reminded her of home, and when she saw the cows, it was just "d'oh, that's retarded pretty".
DSC_0031

DSC_0034

Further inland, we came across this valley. Unreal.
DSC_0041

DSC_0043

No comments: