Sunday, May 20, 2018

Californication: Gaustatoppen

Sunday we got off to an early start again to drive down to Rjukan and the mountain Gaustatoppen. Apparently it's the mountain where you can see the most of Norway although that may be in some doubt. Regardless, the views are quite spectacular. You begin by taking a small train contraption into the actual mountain and once you're well and truly under millions of tons of rock, you take a kind of diagonal elevator or funicular almost up to the summit. The whole thing was built by NATO back in the 50s to provide easier access to the military listening station at the top and partially paid for by US tax dollars.

Going into the mountain.
DSC_0003

Video from the train ride into the mountain:


The funicular.
DSC_0005

At the top, you have to pay to use the restrooms. As a silent protest I held the door open for the next guy when I exited. Sue me, Rjukan! Sue me! I'll never stop fighting da man!
DSC_0009

You can see quite a bit from up there, I don't really care whether it's the mostestest in Norway.
DSC_0011

A long long ways.
DSC_0016

Into Mordor.
DSC_0020

Video from the top


The actual top. My legs were hurting too much for me to bother to climb all the way up there.
DSC_0030

Naturally, I was skeptical of Gaustatoppen.
DSC_0025

No comments: