Sunday, August 9, 2009

Scotland on the Moldau

Absurd day yesterday. On a whim I took the metro up to the lovely Vysehrad area, with its citadel, park, historic cemetary and views over the Moldau. I started out in the cemetary, where I took pics of the graves of Dvorak and Smetana (plus some cheeseburger pics) and then proceeded to walk outside and down towards the river. Suddenly I heard music. It sounded strangely Celtic. I peered up through the holes in the wall, and yes, there were people in there! I ran back up as fast as my stocky little legs and whalelike body allowed to find the 4th Czech Celtic Music Festival in full swing.

Ya'll knows how much ah lubs Scottish folk music, right? So I forked over the 250Kc (€10/$15) for entrance and then spent a happy, sunny Saturday listening to various Czech and Czech/British bands play Irish and Scottish music. The performers were very good and the music was footstomping, I even bought two CDs. The food was greasy, good and cheap and I even bought some souvenirs - a bit of pottery and some drinking horns made from god knows what. The seller didn't speak a word of English, all he could say was "african, african". When I forked over 2,600Kc (€100/$150) for five horns he eagerly shook my hand (that's when I noticed he was missing a finger) and smiled like I'd just donated a kidney. Which, in financial terms, I probably had.

The graves of Dvorak and Smetana, two of the world's finest composers.
SANY0488 SANY0482

You know you want it. I can haz cheeseburger?
SANY0489 SANY0484

Do I want fries with that? Hmmm.
SANY0490

Please, darling... just one more burger!
SANY0486

Ouch, ketchup in my eye!
SANY0485

I told you keep the fuck away from my cheeseburger!
SANY0491

A little known fact about Jesus, is that he was really into rave music.
SANY0493

The Czech band RiRa. They really rocked the joint, so I bought their CD. I tried to get the singer to sign it, but my cunting pen (thanks for the expression, Stef!) chose that moment to die on me.
SANY0498

The Czech band Jauvajs. Bought their CD too. The blonde singer has an angelic voice and the fiddler is a purdy lil' thing.
SANY0506

Stir fried dough, here covered with strawberry jam. You can also put tomato sauce and cheese on them and voila, you've got a makeshift pizza. The Czechs are strange people.
SANY0505

Sunset in color and b&w. Ish nice.
SANY0515 SANY0522

SANY0526

No comments: