Friday, September 30, 2011

Dover Castle

After the cliffs, I drove on for two minutes to the magnificent Dover Castle. The castle is absofuckinlutely huge, the largest in England and contains everything from a Roman lighthouse to WW2 tunnels. I must hang my head in shame and admit right now that I didn't bother with the WW2 stuff, since it was a long wait to get in, and I was beginning to suffer from old ruins overdose. Apparently the underground tunnels, which was the British HQ during the evacuation from Dunkirk in 1940, started life as barracks for troops to fight an eventual French invasion during the Napoleonic Wars. I pwomise to see 'em and report back next time, mmmkay?

Dover was a very important harbour, one of the Cinque Ports (pronounced "sink") of yore. In addition to regular trade, the area was also home to thousands of smugglers over the years, taxes and tariffs being no more popular than today. The castle itself became known as "the key to England", when the Normans started building it in the 12th century. Like with so many ancient castles, there have been numerous reconstructions and additions. I'll let the pics do the talkin' from now on:

An Irish wolfhound, belonging to one of the many volunteers who act around the castle. About the size of a small pony (the dog, not the volunteer).
SANY0087

From the Royal chambers in the keep - several of the English kings spent time at Dover.
SANY0072

Gaudy colors, but apparently this was quite common way back when. I've even read that the old Greek marble statues used to be painted in bright colors.
SANY0061

This is my hole and I'm bloody well staying here!
SANY0036

View from the roof of the keep - north.
SANY0085

View to the south.
SANY0077

The keep in all its splendor - and this was just one part of the castle.
SANY0039

A model of the keep.
SANY0048

I can't help it... I get misty-eyed when I see Union Jack waving in the wind.
SANY0083

The Roman lighthouse.
SANY0027

Ancient boomstick. So ancient, it's not even boom.
SANY0075

Some modern boomsticks. Now THESE make LARGE boom.
SANY0089

What a scribe's workplace looked like.
SANY0068

Where they kept the money. Sweet, sweet money.
SANY0069

Finally, a wascally wabbit sniffing around the castle grounds.
SANY0091

1 comment:

Gullstandard said...

Und ze white cliffs ?