Thursday, June 25, 2015

A drive through Angeles National Forest

Just north of L. A. is the Angeles National Forest. California Route 2 snakes through
it from west to east, and it is a thoroughly enjoyable ride, blissfully free of traffic jams. Below are some pics from this lovely area, just outside the traffic madness and general mayhem of the city.

Also, I got me some exercise yesterday. While driving along, I noticed a car parked on the opposite side of the road and a woman was standing there, frantically waving at me. I slowed down and turned around. She'd gotten a flat tire and had never ever in her life changed one before; also, there was no cell reception in that area, so she couldn't call for help. Now, the idea of me being practical is enough to make most of my Norwegian friends laugh their heads off, but I actually DO KNOW how to change a tire. I'm not good at it, I take my sweet time, but I am familiar with the procedure.

So for the next 20 minutes or so I was on my knees jacking up the car, loosening the bolts, taking off the old wheel, putting on the new one, tightening the bolts again and finally lowering the jack. All the while sweating freely in the heat (at least it was somewhat cooler at over 3,000 feet) and trying to keep up a conversation with the talkative lady. She asked me if I was going to or from work, and I gasped "I'm a tourist, ma'am. I landed in LA Monday night".

As we were working we saw and heard an ambulance driving out from an exit about a hundred yards up the road. I later had to stop and wait for around 20 minutes while a helicopter evacuated some poor motorcyclist around a bend in the road. Pics below! Anyways it's a lovely road, swingy and lots of great vistas, but you have to be on the lookout for rocks in the road, there are constant small and big landslides up there.

Lovely views.
SANY0001

At this lookout I heard a roar behind me and turned around to see several fast cars wooshing by. Three of them were painted in some weird black and white pattern. I was soon joined by a motorcyclist who told me that the cars where what he refered to as "camo cars", painted in that strange pattern to make them harder to see. Apparently this road was used for test driving new models of cars.
SANY0016

The scene of the accident.
SANY0022

And what did I see right before me in the line? Five BMWs, three of 'em painted in crazy black and white. I went up and talked to one of the drivers and he had a German accent. His buddies were talking Kraut beside him. I swear, these "people" are everywhere.
SANY0025

The chopper. It was almost like some scene outta that new San Andreas movie.
SANY0027

Them things are powerful, pebbles and dirt flew everywhere.
SANY0032

1 comment:

Unknown said...

U are truly a knight in shining armour....
Can I order you for tire change around October 1st?