Friday, June 26, 2015

Return to Joshua Tree National Park

I'd been to Joshua Tree National Park once before, in October 2011 with my old pals Albie and Court. This time I was on my own, sweet own, and the photographic loot was correspondingly meager. Still, the scenery up there is quite fascinating in an otherworldly sort of way, and as always when I have just purchased my annual National Parks pass (a steal at $80!), I had a huge grin on my face driving in.

Some Joshua Trees.
DSC_0040

Some rocks. Wind and weather have shaped them into stwange forms.
DSC_0088

At a place called Jumbo Rocks, they had made several cozy picnic areas.
DSC_0086

This is a small dust devil that I spotted.
DSC_0064

It almost looks as if it's growing out of the tree.
DSC_0066

And this is a much bigger one. I watched it veer toward the mountains on the left and just dissipate upon contact.
DSC_0124

This vast plain is a part of the Pinto Basin.
DSC_0104

No comments: