Monday, June 29, 2015

Yuma Territorial Prison

Yuma Territorial Prison was opened in 1875 and closed its doors in 1909. It has since operated as a high school and is now a museum. If I seem more confused than usual, do keep in mind that I walked around in over 100 degrees Fahrenheit today, so my recollection of events may be a bit foggy.

This was a watch tower.
SANY0003

These were wetlands. Yuma is one of the driest areas in the US, so that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm fairly certain that's what the signs said. Before, the waters of the river used to come up to the foothill of the prison, but human need of water has reduced the flow to a drizzle.
SANY0006

The prison building, now housing the exhibits. The cell blocks are at the back.
SANY0009

Inside a cell. There were usually 6 men to one room.
SANY0022

A model showing the prison in the olden days.
SANY0013

The Dark Cell.
SANY0023

This is Madora Ingalls, librarian and wife of one of the wardens. In 1891, she manned (femaled? womaned?) a Gatling gun during an attempted prison break and kept the criminals in check. I don't think I fantasized it, but at that point I can't be certain.
SANY0015

No comments: