Wednesday, May 25, 2005

VICTORY!!!

Today, my favorite football team Liverpool FC was playing AC Milan for the European Champions League title - basically the continent's greatest title for club teams, a pan-European Super Bowl so to speak...

I didn't have the only Norwegian TV channel to show the game, so I followed it by real-time text comments online. By half time Milan was kicking British ass left and right and held a 3-0 lead, so I kind of zoned out, thinking it was a done deal... BUT... then... Liverpool managed to rally for a miraculous seven minutes to come back and make three goals... something I find out only after I thought the game was over and my team beaten. So I leave the net and start flipping channels like a madman.

You see, I have a satellite dish that takes in hundreds of channels from all over the world. I have Kurdish folk music, I have Arab-language phone sex commercials, I have Chinese communist propaganda and tons more. So I figured somewhere in all this madness, there HAD to be someone showing the game. And finally, on #686, I find it - on a Slovenian channel! I managed to see the last ten minutes of the extra time (no goals) AND the penalty contest that followed... where LIVERPOOL WON!!!

*chants*

COME ON YOU REDS! COME ON YOU REDS!

I'm ecstatic... nay euphoric! It's been so long since Liverpool won anything much and now they've gone and taken the European title... *sniffles*

Now if only they would get their act together and win the English championship next year - that's the one that really matters to us true fans... *nods*

2 comments:

Special Sauce said...

This is, I am sure, the only time we will ever hear you chanting for the "reds". Unless, of course, you are an ol' softy when it comes to commies.

Heh.

Ghost of Goldwater said...

Well... there's that whole red state thing too... AND, red is the color of the type of high school I attended in my youth... (don't get me started on the finer points of the Norwegian education system)