Saturday, October 24, 2009

New favorite artist

Those who know me, will know that I have a deep loathing for 99% of modern music. Rap, synth, hip-hop, techno and the ghastly R&B which contains neither rythm nor blues, but is a catch-all phrase for all kinds of wailing and hollering - I hate it all.

I must admit to being a bit behind the times so to speak. I almost never listen to the radio (I actively turn off music programs) and whenever I watch music on TV it's usually late night classic VH1, where one can be reasonably certain of shelter from modern crap. So imagine my surprise and delight at discovering a fine, young artist who came out with an album as recently as 2007: Amy Mcdonald. Yes, dear reader(s), a mere two years after the release of her first album, I heard one of her songs! Wheeeeee! It was "Mr Rock & Roll" (I wish I knew you before), and the guitar and the singing was spot on - proper, melodic, guitarbased music.

I have since downloaded a few more songs and they're all fuckin' brilliant (I have a vague recollection of having heard "This is the life" before and liking it); this is the kind of music I would be playing if I could play so to speak... She's Scottish (another plus) but sings with something of an Irish accent (wheee!) and eternal love was sealed when I discovered she sang "Caledonia" as a hidden track on her CD. Go ye out and buy, buy, buy if you don't already have. I know I will as soon as I can get to an effin music store (I'm still not allowed to drive due to the stroke).

No comments: