Friday, April 2, 2010

See Naples and uhm... leave again

There's an old saying - "See Naples and die", meaning you can perish at your own leisure after seeing the grandeur of the city. Also there's a very real chance you'll croak while there; if not from the insane traffic, then from muggings, food poisoning or pollution. Anyways, I spent a very hectic day in the city back in the summer of  2005. I'd driven down from Rome with a Norwegian friend of mine and the next day we saw Pompei and Capri all in a day. On the morrow we made an insane drive all the way up to Milan. I remember Pompei as beautiful and dramatic, Capri as lovely and romantic and Naples as dirty, filthy and downright pestilent.

Ever the forgiving traveler I am willing to give the city and its surroundings a second chance - which is why I have just booked a flight to Naples for December 23, with a return flight to Oslo Jan 1. I am going to see Pompei in detail and Capri too and possibly venture south to the lovely Amalfi coast. I shall take in the (supposed) splendor of Naples' museums, gardens and castles. I shall venture underground to see "Napoli Sotteranea". I shall stuff face with pizzas on the piazzas. I shall not think of snow, cold and Norway, except maybe as a distant, unpleasant memory to be repressed (or, more likely, as a hellhole where most of my friends and family will be stuck for the holidays, muahahaha). In short, I shall have a jolly good holiday in a warm place. Except, with my luck, expect Vesuv to obliterate the city sometime in late December.

No comments: