Saturday, June 19, 2010

The death of a sport

I've been trying to follow the 2010 World Cup. With enthusiasm. But the more I watch, the more I realize I no longer have much feeling for this game. Maybe I'll watch the finale, maybe not.

I'm not sure why I've had this development, probably there are several reasons. Team football has become nearly impossible to follow over the years, as players change teams more often than underwear. This means that almost all the players on today's national teams are unknown to yours truly.

In addition, this year's cup has been, for the most part, horribly boring. Few goals scored, lots of loooong sequences of teams playing defense almost all the time, and a ball which seems designed never to hit the goal if fired from more than 16 meters. Bah.

So. Football has suffered a long decline, and to me the sport is now officially dead. Watching most games these days are on a par with watching paint dry, and I just don't have the patience to sit around and wait for the few good games. Instead I'll watch a movie, read a book, go out for dinner or whatever.

No comments: