Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Kiev & Crimea next

Friday morning I'll fly to Kiev by way of Copenhagen, then Saturday it's on to Simferopol by plane and finally Yalta by car. Saturday-Tuesday I'll be joined by Nata, my Ukrainian friend who I am sure will also be my interpreter for much of the time. I don't know how well the Ukrainians/Russkies speak English but I fear the answer is "not much".

We'll visit the palace where Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt met in '45 and eat at the famous "Swallow's Nest". We'll also visit the Khans' Palace further north and see his harem (oink, oink) and maybe get in a trip to the botanical garden in Yalta.

From Tuesday afternoon I'll be all alone in Crimea, and I suspect that's when things will start to get interesting. I speak maybe 20 words of Russian and a third of those are numbers... it will be "fun" to drive around the streets and roads and I fear I'll get lost more than once... Watch this space!

No comments: