Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Grand Tetons - again

Sunday, I drove down to Salt Lake City to pick up my old friend Siri. On the way down, just north of Pocatello, ID I drove over one of them big rubber flakes that sometimes get torn loose from big trucks. I heard a loud bang under the car and then there was this clickety-click sound when I drove. I stopped on the side of the road and saw that the front panel under the car had been knocked loose.

Cursing the trucks on American Interstates, the tire manufacturers and pretty much everything and everybody in the least bit associated with transportation in the United States, from the kids cutting rubber in Asia up to and including Secretary Ray LaHood and the entire Obama administration, I drove slowly on the side of I-15 until I reached Fort Hall, a tiny place just before Pocatello.

Here, there was a gas station where I asked if they had a garage or a repairman on site. They didn't, but the cashier guy, a burly looking injun with a long ponytail went with me to have a look at the car. He got down under there and after banging and cussing a little, he had put it in place again, with only a small piece torn off.

He said I needed to get another one, but them things are cheap, plastic thingies with little practical use, so I haven't bothered yet; the car is running fine. Having saved my lazy, useless bacon I gave him a 20 and continued on to SLC.

I picked up Siri without incident, and as of this writing she's still very much alive. We left Salt Lake around 7 AM on Monday and drove the slow way up through the Grand Tetons & Yellowstone National Parks to Butte. We've seen and done a lot in these four last days, and the first of which there are pictures, is the absolutely stunning Grand Tetons.

All pics here.

Siri at the pass just before the descent to Jackson. I know I said some nasty things about Jackson the last time I was here, in 2009, but having been forced to lunch here, I have to admit it's not all bad. Quite nice, in fact - the lunch I had was pricey but damn good.
DSCN0352

It's so pretty up there.
DSCN0345

The stunning Grand Tetons. Gawd, I love this place.
DSCN0364

DSCN0361

Pretty flowers.
DSCN0366

Jackson Lake and the mountains and and and waaaaaaaaaaaah!
DSCN0369

DSCN0380

Lake Jackson. Sigh.
DSCN0388

No comments: