Friday, April 14, 2017

Krakow: The old town square

My second and last installment from the wonderful city of Krakow is the area know as Old Town Square, or Main Square of the Old Town. It's a handsome area where I spent several blissful hours just strolling around, taking in the sights and sounds of a free market economy in action.

There was a large hall in the middle of the square, on one side of it was a space for the many horse carriages.
DSC00554

And the many flower booths...
DSC00561

An ancient tower stood in the other half of the square.
DSC00562

The large hall was home to dozens of small vendors, all hawking Chinese products. Bah!
DSC00578

This small monument was to an old guy who'd set fire to himself to protest communism back in the day. I'd never heard of him, but I thought his sacrifice was worth at least a picture.
DSC00570

There were dozens of stalls selling all manner of yummy food. Here, the smell of burning animal carcasses was almost overpowering. Mmmmm, burning animal carcasses.
DSC00564

Bread! Big, juicy lumps of bread!
DSC00565

Sausages, hams, bacon. Droolz.
DSC00567

Cheese. Big chunks of delicious, smelly cheese.
DSC00568

I feasted on this big pancake, which was filled with lots of yummy jam and fruits.
DSC00569

I have no idea why they chose to make a chocolate model of a deranged bunny.
DSC00566

Some of the stalls sold these... ahem... different products.
DSC00563

This blacksmith made lots of different things; I bought several engraved horseshoes from him.
DSC00571

Naturally, I was skeptical of Krakow.
DSC00560

No comments: