Friday, July 5, 2019

Day 11: More employees! More, more!

Sophie also joined me on the 11th day of my trip, along with her daughter Miranda (16) and another employee named Andrew, a thoroughly decent and witty chap, although I am not sure I ever weaned him off calling me "Sir". As for Miranda, I think she set a new record for the number of selfies in Kruger.

Sadly, this was to be quite a dull day with not a single cat, nor rhino. I started out on the Voortrekker again and at first, I thought it was going to be another great day, when we spotted some sable antelopes in the grass. But that turned to be just about it on the Voortrekker. We saw some ellies in the distance, but not close enough to raise much excitement and we were a bit subdued when we had brunch at Afsaal.

At the very beginning, we drove a loop around the highest hilltop just west of Pretoriuskop. In addition to magnificent views of a still foggy Kruger, it also gave me this little klipspringer, who was standing on a rock up in the hillside, looking very content with himself and the world.
DSC_0003

I also got in a new animal that day, as we passed through a small group of Sable antelopes.
DSC_0011

Very pretty animals.
DSC_0014

From the waterhole along Voortrekker. Reach, slurp.
DSC_0019

Squirt, drink.
DSC_0020

Video from our brunch in Afsaal.
20190705_093308

Later, on the H3, we did wind up in the middle of a herd of ellies and for some reason most of the cows seemed to have babies. Whittle ellie babies, blblblbl. Yeah, that was about my state of mind after watching them. They're so cute when they can't control their trunks properly yet attempt to harvest the trees in the same way mom does; it all becomes quite inefficient. One even took a break to suckle. Awwww!
DSC_0026

Pic of a big ellie coming up behind us. The big ones that are part of a herd are usually not aggressive in the least; they're safe and solid and have seen it all before and unless you do something stupendously stupid such as honking the horn or revving the engine at them, they will tolerate your presence. In general, an elephant will flap his ears, scrape the ground and make snorts and may even trumpet before actually attacking. The exception is if you encounter a bull in musth; then all bets are off and you should make yourself scarce immediately.
20190705_103437

We had ice cream at Skukuza, then took my old S65, which had brought me so much joy. We did see both zebras and giraffes there, plus more ellies. Back on the road to Numbi, we stopped by Transport and Shitlhave and both yielded hippos. Almost at Numbi, we stopped at a hyena den and took pics of some young 'uns, as mom didn't seem to be around. Nowhere near yesterday's firework, we had still had a nice day out.

I didn't just have ice cream, I had Cape Malva pudding with ice cream. If I lived here, I would be dead in a year from eating nothing but this.
20190705_124440

Video of Mr McGoof crossing the road.
20190705_150516

At one point, they all fell asleep. I took the opportunity to produce some evidence, haha!
20190705_112734

No comments: