Thursday, August 16, 2007

Back by popular demand...

Ok, I know I've been tardy with my travel stories, but with effin work starting up again there hasn't been much time, and even less motivation *sigh*

Still, here are the last parts of my UK travel in June/July... the last installment was from Lindisfarne. From there I drove down to Whitby, a cozy little city on the coast. It's a bit touristy in places, but in sum a very nice place. Lots of nice old buildings, quaint pubs and inns, narrow cobblestone streets etc. Definitely worth exploring, and I even moved my lardass to climb the "famous" 199 steps up to the ruins of old Whitby Abbey. Doing this after I'd just stuffed my face with a solid helping of Tikka Massala at the pub "King George" did not improve the experience. I recommend the pub, though. Good, cheap grub!

Whitby is a picturesque place, and the view from the abbey across the bay is quite simply stunning, especially when the sun's playing with the clouds. These pictures turned out quite nice I thought - but they don't come close to doing the real scene justice.


The whalebone monument to Whitby's past as a fishing village (tourism is the main thing these days):
Whitby 067

The Abbey seen from the other side of town:
Whitby 061

Nice beaches if you're into that sort of thing:
Whitby 065

The 199 steps up to the Abbey:
Whitby 028

The Abbey ruin:
Whitby 040

Lots more pics of the bay area, taken from the Abbey site:

Whitby 044

Whitby 045

Whitby 049

Whitby 052

Whitby 054

Whitby 055

No comments: