Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Scotland VI: Wildlife Park I

Left Inverness Monday morning and drove down to the Highland Wildlife Park, where I spent several happy hours. I first did the driving tour and got some pics of various deer, horses, bison etc and then did some walking. I spent most of my time with the wolves, an animal I've always liked. It's a very special feeling to stand not ten feet away from them. The park is a wonderful place, and well worth the £10,50 you pay to get in. True to British form, when I bought my ticket the old guy in the booth apologized for the "unseasonal weather". It was sunny... I took so many pics I'm going to divide this into several posts. Click for larger versions.


Tibetan horses:

SANY0234


European bison. Hot damn, those things are huge.

SANY0235 SANY0249
SANY0250 SANY0251 SANY0265 SANY0275

SANY0349 SANY0350


Reindeer. A bloody nuisance to traffic in the north of Norway, they SHOULD be locked up in parks.

SANY0237

This one turned completely loco on me. I rolled down the window to take some pics, and he started shaking and snorting and then ran around like crazy. I was afraid he'd attack the car, so I drove on.

SANY0241


Moose. A bloody nuisance to traffic everywhere in Scandinavia. Their peasized brains just can't process the concept of cars bearing onto them, and it's touch and go if they run away into the woods or stay in the road.

A cow, nibling some food:

SANY0245 SANY0247

Here comes daddy - it's only the bulls that have antlers.

SANY0248

A wee one:

SANY0246

No comments: