Friday, July 25, 2008

Scotland XIV: The cities

Wednesday we left Berwick and headed towards Glasgow. We made a stop in Edinburgh, to look at the Castle (normally £12 per person, but now free, free, freeeee due to my membership in Historic Scotland) and to grab some lunch.

Adam Smith, father of the science of economics, godfather of free trade and free markets:

SANY0503

View from the ramparts towards Arthur's Seat.

SANY0512

Heidi and a sculpted lion at the castle. Heidi at the back (no, I never get tired of that joke).

SANY0511

We lunched at the Greyfriar's Bobby pub, named after the Skye Terrier who famously watched over his dead owner's grave for 14 years. There's a small statue of Bobby outside the pub.

SANY0514

The puppy and the bitch (bwahahahaha)

SANY0515

I love Edinburgh and I love the castle, but we didn't have much time, as we'd made Glasgow our priority this time, so we left after less than three hours. On Thursday we went for an 80 minute tour bus ride of Glasgow that was both entertaining and informative and I highly recommend it.

Today I've dropped Heidi at Prestwick Airport (she was still breathing when I left) and I'm currently in a hotel in Windermere, in the beautiful Lake District.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

£12 saved eh.. you realise you will now have to visit over 60 castles to get your moneys worth right? :-P