Saturday, July 26, 2008

Scotland XV: The Lake District

Spent most of the day outdoors with Stef, a friend of mine from Huddersfield. Her yorkie accent isn't as bad as some I've heard, but I still have to ask her to go "Queen's English" sometimes, which seems to annoy her and thus makes me request it even when I don't need to. When I do understand her she's usually hilarious though.

We started off at the Beatrix Potter museum in Bowmere. Being Norwegian I had no knowledge of Potter's writings as such, but I knew she was iconic in Britain. I thought the exhibition was very well made, and I guess even better if you have a personal connection with her works. It seemed like the kids there enjoyed themselves anyway. In addition to her literary success Potter also bought a lot of land in the District and willed most of it to the National Trust, thus preserving it for future generations.

SANY0522 SANY0527

This shop name in Bowmere caught my attention, and not in a good way. Apparently it's a retail chain. For assholes.

SANY0529


We then had a hideously heavy brunch in Ambleside before setting off in a boat across Lake Windermere. Stef immediately spotted a house she wanted to own, but when we came to Wrey Castle, she decided she'd live there instead.


Yummy and sweet. I am talking about the dessert, of course. This woman could, and would, beat me up.

SANY0531

Stef's first house:

SANY0555

Wray Castle. Nice building and great views.

SANY0540 SANY0537

SANY0534 SANY0536

We went back on the lake after just 30 minutes. The scenery around here is really pretty and you can see the rest of the Lake District pics here.

SANY0551 SANY0554

We then drove into town and stuffed our faces further on cheesecake and beverages. All in all, a good day out! Sunday I'm heading up to Selkirk, in Scotland... my last destination before heading home Tuesday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aha!
So she's the one who stole my glasses!

Ghost of Goldwater said...

I wouldn't put it past her. Sneaky, those yorkie people.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, but I am saddened that you failed to mention about my PERFECT parralell parking.

It was AMAZING.

How can that not be blog worthy?

And as for the disgrunteled victim of optical crime, I would just like to point out that throwing such accusations about is libelous and I shall be consulting my legal team in due course.

Good day!