Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Scotland VII: Glencoe

Not much to write about, another lazy day Tuesday. Drove from Newtonmore and only had to go back once to give back the rom key I'd forgotten to hand in... delayed me about 80 minutes, but who's counting when you're driving through the Scottish countryside.


Loch Laggan and surroundings:

SANY0352 SANY0353


I stopped for a little while at the local museum in Glencoe, site of the (in)famous massacre of 1692. The museum itself (formally called Glencoe and North Lorne Folk Museum) is a wonderful little place, filled with all sorts of more or less random old stuff. (Also, there's a very nice and very pretty blonde behind the counter). This cupboard caught my attention - on the inside of the doors there were lots of "healthy" and "easy" recipes, plus useful advice on various matters, such as first aid. Amusing!

SANY0355 SANY0356


I spent the night at the somewhat famous Kings House Hotel. A bit on the pricey side for the room, but good food and nice people. I took the opportunity to do some laundry, but since the tags on my clothes all predicted death and doom if I tumble dried them, I had to hang dry it all. There was a drying room next to my room, but it was almost full, so I plugged in the oven in my room, cranked up the heat to max and simply left. I had a very hot night later on, but damn if the clothes weren't dry in the morning.

You meet all sorts of people from all over the world in these places, and I had a long and very interesting conversation with a British soldier in a branch of the special forces that shall remain unknown. He'd been all over the world, fighting and training, and if half of what he told me is true he's got a good book on his hands. I don't want to go into more details here, suffice it to say that the conversation felt like a therapy session for a gung ho reactionary like yours truly.

Another new friend I made was Bubbles. This little lady is a border collie, and belonged to a Belgian guy. Bubbles was very well behaved, but loved the attention everybody gave her. The owner said Bubbles had no experience with sheep, but every time they went to his brother's place, she would try to herd his rabbits.

SANY0359

The hotel - the oldest parts of the house was used as barracks for British troops back in the 1740s.

SANY0360 SANY0361

Some views from Glencoe and the hotel area:

SANY0357 SANY0362

SANY0363 SANY0364

No comments: