Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Rome IV

Today I took the subway to see Castel St Angelo, a huge building just outside the Vatican. It was originally built as a mausoleum for the emperor Hadrian, but has subsequently been rebuilt and used for various purposes by the papacy. It has a terrrace with incredible views of the city, but for its size the actual space devoted to exhibits and such is surprisingly and disappointingly small, especially at 11 effin Euro for the admission. They have a little cafe with great views and I can highly recommend the lemon tart with a cup of hot chocolate, if you have €9.50 to spare (told ya it's expensive).

I then walked to the Palazzo Altemps, which is a part of the National Museum of Rome (like the Palazzo Massimo and the Baths of Diocletian). It's better than the Baths but nowhere near as good as the Massimo. Also, the entrance is very poorly marked (hint: it's the door in the corner). I took a lot of pics both at St Angelo and the Altemps, and I will post them eventually.

Afterwards I walked to the Piazza Navona, which is still the tackiest place in Rome, where tacky people sell tacky souvenirs from tacky bodegas to tacky tourists, all in one of the most beautiful public squares in the world. Ugh. Afterwards I walked over to the Trevi fountain by way of the Pantheon (which I love except for the present day Papal occupation of an otherwise wonderful symbol of Roman religious tolerance).

Tonight I again had a highly mediocre lasagne dinner, accompanied by my russkie friend Olga. She confirmed a lot of my thoughts about Italy and the Italians, such as the fact that they love tackiness, that they can't make Italian food very well, and that they are, to the foreign mind, clinically insane. We also agreed that they were still much preferable to the French.

Not sure where to go and what to do tomorrow. Still need to see the Trastevere area, so maybe I'll take the subway there and go for a walk. Tata, fans!

Update: I almost forgot... HAPPY FESTIVUS!

No comments: