Thursday, July 15, 2010

Aniane

Continuing backwards in time I thought I'd post a few pictures of the donkey race they had here on Monday. Slightly surreal, but the whole town was out in force and we met some nice Swedes (I know I give them a hard time on this blog, but most are actually ok). The Americans were in stitches over the whole concept of racing donkeys and there were more than one joke about the "donkey shows" one can watch in Tijuana... You, on the other hand, can watch all my donkey-related pics here, without fear of permanent retinal damage.

There were races for both children and adults, on the same poor animals. Some of the adults were dressed up; one guy had on the uniform of a Catholic priest, so I assume he was dressed as a child rapist.
SANY0015

The children's race can only be described as charmingly disorganized.
SANY0046

A late contestant... this is one of a number of small dogs that roam the streets all day begging for food, I've encountered him several times over the past few days.
SANY0042

Some extremely bored donkeys.
SANY0011

Frying a shitload of 'taters for the big dinner afterwards.
SANY0051

Absofuckinlutely everybody smokes down here, especially the women.
SANY0014

Donkey poo or the brains of an unfortunate contestant? I'll leave the answer to you, dear reader.
SANY0038

No comments: