Friday, July 16, 2010

Saint Guilhem le Desert

No, that's not a disease, nor a dish. It is the name of the village we visited on Sunday (the fucked up chronology continues!). It's only ten minutes from Aniane. We walked around and just gazed in marvel at the cozy buildings, narrow streets and the Gellone river, which pretty much runs through the whole place. I think I'll let the pictures do the talking from now on (all of 'em can be found here).

The village square. Several restaurants surround it. Service is slow, but it's worth it just to sit here and people-watch for an hour or two.
SANY0051

This sandwich was the size of my underarm. I had to admit defeat in order to have room for the ice cream later on.
SANY0046

There were ruins of buildings at the very top. I get dizzy just thinking about it.
SANY0053

Sho, sho cozhy...
SANY0032

In my imagination, a hobbit lives behind this door.
SANY0031

If, on the other hand, hobbits lived on the second floor, he would live here:
SANY0011

The monastery has its own vinyard... this sure ain't Norway.
SANY0024

This is how I prefer my religion - locked up.
SANY0018

The river Gellone runs under the effin city hall.
SANY0063

It also provides water to the numerous drinking fountains that can be found all over the village. My guess is that in earlier days, this was the city's sewer system.
SANY0060

In a slowmoving part of the river, they had fish. Lots and lots of fish.
SANY0055

Of course, this wouldn't be France unless people behaved like animals.
SANY0067

Pont Diable. One of fuck knows how many in France. There are several alternative versions of how this bridge came into being. I think it was built around 1030. The surrounding area is the preferred bathing place for the local populace.
SANY0079

These little fuckers can be heard all over Italy and the south of France. They play incessantly and loudly.
SANY0082

No comments: