Monday, January 3, 2011

Naples part IV: The Archaeological Museum

After stuffin face I quickly made my way to the Museo Archeologico, where most of the goodies from Pompeii are stored, along with other assorted bits and ends from Italy's long and illustrious history. Sadly, the museum closed early on the 24th, and I was already relatively late so I only managed to see the frescoes from Pompeii and Herculaneum, and catch a quick glimpse of some of the busts and statues. Next time I'll do a thorough examination of the whole museum, I pwomise! All pics from the museum can be seen here.

Picture of an artist's mask.
SANY0029

The colors on some of these frescoes are amazingly vivid, 2000 years later.
SANY0042

I tought I taw a puttycat...
SANY0023

God & angel? Uhm, no. Jupiter and cherub, long before the perverted idea of christianity ever reared its ugly head.
SANY0026

(Warning: Internal Norwegian joke) I knew Ibsen spent time in Sorrento, but not that he was there 2,000 years ago...
SANY0015

This double portrait is one of the most famous from Pompeii. I bought ten postcards with this motive.
SANY0048

A huge model of Pompeii.
SANY0009

Apparently, the old Romans were not above reusing stuff. This head of Julius Caesar was put on top of an unrelated body of a much older statue.
SANY0056

No comments: