Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Naples part V: Termini

After two nights in Naples I set off for Termini, a tiny hamlet about 90 mins to the south, on the Sorrento peninsula. Cell phone coverage was horribly patchy, sometimes I'd receive messages more than 24 hours late. The apartment I'd rented wasn't exactly what I'd expected. There was no connection between the 1st and 2nd floor, you had to go outside to walk between them. The washing machine took 2 hours to finish a cycle, and the water pressure in the shower was laughable.

It was freezing indoors, unless you had two heaters working on the 2nd floor, and one of the heaters was a kerosene contraption that needed refill every 10-12 hours, something the landlord didn't entrust me to do on my own (probably a wise decision...). Put on a third heater and the power went out. I also had to fiddle around with the hot water boiler in the bathroom to use just the right amount of electricity, particularly when people arrived and started occupying the 1st floor. I had to give them the electrical heater, so I froze... yes froze for the people downstairs. But that's just the kind of guy I am. *stoic sniffle*

The pics I took in Termini were taken over several days, put I'm putting them all into two posts. There were great views over Capri, and if you went up the hill above town (which I did) you had incredible views over pretty much the whole peninsula- more about that later. All pics from Termini are here.

The 2nd floor of the apartment. I stayed here. Yes, the picture on the wall is creepy.
SANY0006

The Italians are nothing, if not tacky.
SANY0013

This creepy Santa Claus went up and down the "chimney". It must have been run on some kind of compressor. T-A-C-K-Y.
SANY0020

This is the cake that was given to me by my landlord when I took possession of the house. A week later it was still not finished.
SANY0009

The view over to Capri from the village parking lot was nice.
SANY0001 (3)

No comments: