Monday, June 29, 2009

Seattle

Spent Saturday night in Tumwater, just south of Olympia. Sunday morning I drove into Seattle, where I spent almost 3 hours walking around the splendid Nordic Heritage Museum, which covers migration to the US from all five Nordic countries, with a special emphasis on their influence in the northwest (hint: it has been considerable). I then drove southeast across some nice mountains and then through the endless, dull, semi arid hell that is central Washington and northern Oregon. I am now in Pendleton, OR, heading down to Baker City tomorrow to check out some Oregon Trail history.

The Heritage Museum in northwestern Seattle. It's quite some distance from the Interstate, but I had no problems finding it. Next to the museum was a small park where people were walking dogs and children (not sure who drooled and shat the most, but I do know I would have prefered the leashes to be on the kids). The giant St Bernard is Gus; I became his bestestestest friend in the world when I shared my sandwich with him.

SANY0463 SANY0462

Pics of the Seattle Needle, taken from the I-5. I'm a menace to society, yo.
SANY0459 SANY0460

In the background you can just make out the purdy Snohomish mountians, whence I came. Then there's the dull wasteland I was driving into. It looks much better from a distance, believe me.
SANY0465 SANY0464

One of the few nice things along the way was when I came down a long, long hill not far from Yakima. In the shimmering distance I suddenly saw the ghostly features of Mt Adams (barely visible) and Mt Rainier.
SANY0468 SANY0466

No comments: