Saturday, June 23, 2012

The National Churchill Museum in Fulton

While perusing the map Thursday evening, trying to find interesting places along I-70 between Independence and St. Louis, my eyes landed on the town of Fulton, Missouri and I immediately knew I had to go there. Fulton is the small college town where Winston Churchill gave his famous speech on March 5, 1946, wherein he used the term "Iron Curtain" for the first time in public. I discovered to my surprise and joy that they have a whole museum devoted to Churchill there, and furthermore that it was a splendid place.

They have lots of biographical stuff, info related to the war, the speech and its aftermath, plus a small exhibit about America's "Greatest Generation". At 6 bucks I found it a bargain.

All pics here.

The museum lies beneath an English church which was bombed by the Krauts and then rebuilt here in the early sixties.
DSCN8474

The actual chair Winston sat in and the actual lectern used during his speech. Be still, my fluttering heart.
DSCN8483

Churchill was interested in military stuff from an early age and had a collection of over 1,500 toy soldiers. I am envious.
DSCN8479

As with WW1, the US simply produced their way to victory in WW2. Never understimate the power of the American economy when focused on a single task, such as killing Krauts.
DSCN8491

From the "Greatest Generation" exhibit.
DSCN8488

No comments: