Friday, July 20, 2012

Petrified Gardens

After leaving Pierre, I drove through what seemed like endless grassland all the way down to I-90. Then, after a while I started seeing umpteen signs for all the attractions the Black Hills area can offer, from real sights like Mt Rushmore and the Badlands to more curious stuff, like the Petrified Garden.

The name does not lie. It is a large backyard full of petrified trees, even some petrified moss. Indoors there are more petrified objects and fossils and bones of long extinct species. It is fascinating in a slow, horribly boring way. It only costs five bucks and they have a store with some reasonably cheap polished stones and fossils and such.

All pics here.

Overview. At this point I already suspected that I was the only person insane enough to walk around in the sun. I was right.
DSCN9325

If you say so.
DSCN9352

Again, I'll take your word for it.
DSCN9358

Don't say this blog is not informative!
DSCN9324

Shoulder blade of a titanothere, an animal not unlike the modern day rhino.
DSCN9372

Rocks under ultraviolet light. Or was it infrared? Fuck knows.
DSCN9319

Some of these petrified tree slices were quite nice.
DSCN9382

Grass, glorious grass.
DSCN9386

No comments: