Sunday, December 28, 2014

The National History Museum

Saturday I resumed my museal duties and visited the National History Museum. It was a nice way to spend about an hour, and I learned a bit about the Greek fight for independence and even more about the inner workings of the Ottoman Empire, of which Greece was a part for several hundred years. The museum starts with the fall of Constantinople/Bysants/Istanbul to the Turks in 1453 and ends with WW2.

The naval Battle of Lepanto in 1571, where the heathen Turks were stopped once and for all in their western expansion.
SANY0002

Lord Byron, who fought for Greece in words and in person and died there, probably from a combination of a severe cold and the idiotic practice of bloodletting, which was still a cure-all at the time of his death in 1824.
SANY0003

Some objects which had belonged to Byron.
SANY0007

I wonder how many battles and wars the Greek might have won iffin their soldiers weren't dressed in drag.
SANY0004

I rest my case.
SANY0006

No comments: