Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Missing America

Sometimes I miss the US so much it hurts. I can sit at work and look out the window and suddenly I see a car going by, or I see the flags at a shop across the road, or I walk out to my car after a rainfall and smell the rain on the breeze... and in a flash I'm transported. All kinds of little stuff remind me of America. Sigh.

Now, I've got a purdy good summer ahead of me, I ain't complaining. Two weeks in Italy and four weeks in France is a good, long holiday and it's made even better by the fact that I'm getting visitors from the US (and other places). But even though I am already bouncing with excitement and wanderlust for Europe, I still feel a pining for the wide open spaces of the American West. The deserts of Utah and Arizona... the mountains of California and Wyoming... the woods of Washington and the dunes of Oregon... ahhhhh.

I yearn for these things; so much so that is hurts physically not to see them. Then I open my image directory and start browsing the pics I took last year, or even go to youtube to look up some of the better places. A couple of days ago I spent some happy hours just browsing videos of drives along American Interstates... not sure if that's nerdy or just sad...

Next year I am definitely going back to the US, and I'm 99% sure I'm going to the west coast. There are so many things I want to see again and so many new things I want to experience too. I can hardly wait for ticket sales to open sometime in the fall.

So... this is my dream till then: My own sweet self, a car, good music on the radio... and the open road, stretching for endless miles ahead of me. America, I'm coming home.

No comments: