Monday, October 2, 2017

Scotland: Dirleton Castle

Monday turned out to be a very productive day. I finished off my touristy obligations with a trip west to Dirleton Castle, which I had intended to see Tuesday. My TripAdvisor review:
"A very nice property, not just the structure, which was basically built in three stages by three different families, but also the castle grounds. A large garden with all manner of flowers and trees, very lovely indeed."

The oldest parts of the castle was built in the late 13th century. Three families held the castle over the next 500 years or so, and each added something new to it.
DSC01083

Ruins.
DSC01084

I know how to locate the shitters.
DSC01088

I believe this was the Lord's room, with benches in a semicircle and a big, nice fireplace.
DSC01087

It was a spacious castle, with lots of rooms.
DSC01092

I believe this later addition was the Great Hall.
DSC01095

View of the main keep from the Great Hall.
DSC01097

Lovely pine or something like it.
DSC01089

The garden holds nice alleys of trees.
DSC01079

And benches.
DSC01081

And a green where signs give you stern warnings not to walk on the grass.
DSC01082

The lowest part, by the road, held lots of flowers.
DSC01099

A very British garden indeed.
DSC01102

Down by the ticket center, some local schoolchildren had made a map of the surroundings on the back wall.
DSC01101

No comments: