Thursday, October 5, 2017

Scotland: From Callander to Oban - the long way

Wednesday night in Callander was almost as good as last year, with singing all evening long at the Old Rectory Inn. My TripAdvisor review:
"Went here last week and had the three course meal for less than £10 in the small restaurant. Good value for money; tasty, good, decent grub. Afterwards I had a great time singing Scottish folk songs and the likes with the locals in the pub section. Very welcoming, nice people, both the guests and the employees. Will definitely come again!"

In the morning, I stopped by to see if I could feed the Shaggy Coos again, but the animals had already had their breakfast I was told, so I pressed on north towards Glencoe. Driving the the A82 between Tyndrum and Glencoe once a year has become something of a rite of passage for me and this year was one of the better. First, I stopped at the parking lot above Loch Tulla and for once, the sun was out.
DSC01181

DSC01182'

DSC01186

I also have video.


I then drove down the narrow road to Glen Etive. The sun made the scenery even more beautiful than last year. My TripAdvisor Review:
"Took a detour down here in October and was awarded with stunning scenery; even some sunshine... Now, the single file road can be troublesome, especially if you're not used to driving on the left, and the parking lot at the very end, down by Loch Etive is positively dangerous (I saw one car where they were changing a tyre), but the rest is pure bliss."

Video:


Some purdy scenery:
DSC01187

DSC01190

Video:


DSC01192

Almost at the end of the valley, the scenery is just spectacular.
DSC01197

The ever changing clouds made the scene even purdier.
DSC01200

You can just see the waters of Loch Etive, which is a saltwater lake; really an arm of the Atlantic Ocean.
DSC01198

Video:


Naturally, I was skeptical of Glen Etive.
DSC01194

When I got back to the main road, I decided to make a quick detour back to King's House Hotel. The Hotel was closed for refurbishment, but there were some deer roaming the grounds and a very nice family of sassenachs were stuffing food into the deer's little snouts as fast as they could swallow.
DSC01204

I'm not sure white bread is the best type of food for deer, but I couldn't really give a fuck.
DSC01205

Two very cute, lil' girls.
DSC01206

The sassenachs, bless their hearts, wondered if I wanted to feed the animals. Does the pope shit in the woods? However, the response when I just tried to pet and cuddle. was a distinct nope.
DSC01207

I had to have food in my hand for them to approach. The two last pics courtesy of the unnamed sassenachs.
DSC01208

No comments: