Monday, October 2, 2017

Scotland: Craigmillar Castle & Hailes Castle

Monday, I dropped my traveling pardner off at the airport in Edinburgh and immediately set course for Craigmillar Castle. I'd never been before, but it was a very nice new acquaintance. From my TripAdvisor review:
"Craigmillar is a very handsome pile of stone, and it has the magical property of being larger on the inside than on the outside (it shares this with Doune Caste). There are so many nooks and crannies in this place that it feels almost endless and you can happily spend hours here. There's also several nice green spots around the grounds. Highly recommended!"

View from the approach to the castle. The Preston family started building it in the late 1300s and it later fell into the hands of the Gilmour family. In 1566, a pact was made, known as the Craigmillar Bond, to dispose of Lord Darnley, the husband of Queen Mary.
DSC01034

The castle from the opposite side.
DSC01057

Video from the inner courtyard. It was a windy day.


Outer courtyard.
DSC01047

The ruins of a chapel. As previously mentioned, this is the correct state for any religious building. The Gilmour family still uses it for burials.
DSC01045

Over Edinburgh, to the northwest, was a rainbow.
DSC01050

To the south lies a hospital (Royal Infirmary in britspeak). This area is known as Little France, because Mary's French troops were quartered here.
DSC01052

Old dungeon.
DSC01041

A shitter.
DSC01048

From one of the main rooms.
DSC01049

A nice field.
DSC01056

This is why I love the British so very, very much:
DSC01055

After Craigmillar I drove on to Hailes Castle, further east. The place had virtually no space for parking and was situated way the fuck out in the boondocks along a very narrow road, so I only took two pics and fucked off outta there.
DSC01058

I may have to come back and explore better some other time.
DSC01059

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I went to craigmillar castle it's really haunted I saw king v111 right in front of me I flew out of there