Tuesday, November 3, 2009

How I Beat The Man

I've just recieved word from the US that my parking citation of $330 from this summer has been rescinded. I was parked in a handicap space, outside a handicap room I had booked, on what I thought was Motel 6 property. The city of Chula Vista (a suburb to San Diego) slapped me with a fine for standing in a handicap space without a valid permit.

I complained, arguing that:
1) I was staying legally in a handicap room. Although I wasn't technically handicapped, I do have a cranky leg with a thrombosis from the diabetes and have found it useful to stay in such rooms.
2) The parking space was right outside my room.
3) I had no reason to think the parking lot wasn't private, hotel property.
4) I had a valid parking permit from the hotel.
5) I would never, ever, EVER park in a handicap space on a public street. I can walk just fine. But when I'm using the handicap ROOM I might as well use the handicap SPACE right outside it.

Today I got a letter saying my complaint had been reviewed and the citation was rescinded. $330 saved and a rare victory for common sense.

2 comments:

ingrid said...

Not bad, not bad at all.

So are you giving the money to charity now?

Ghost of Goldwater said...

You don't know me very well, do you?

(I've actually used the money (and more) on bookshelves and a lamp.)